Friday 10 August 2012

Meltdown

I am physically and emotionally shattered. I couldn't get to sleep last night due to the flashbacks - a repeating reel of just a few seconds horrifyingly replaying over and over again in my mind every time I closed my eyes. I eventually took myself off to Izzy's empty bed and read a bit before finally dozing off.

So this morning I was exhausted. As we all know by now, that is not a good thing. For some reason this morning I ended up watching a video on my computer of Olivier feeding William. It was amazing to see him alive! And being so funny and pulling all his little faces. I remember I was trying to catch Olivier opening his mouth as he fed a spoonful of food into William's little mouth - I used to think it was hysterical. After I'd watched the video I felt such an enormous sense of loss - it was definitely not a good thing to do at that particular moment.

I had my second EMDR appointment at the psychologist at 10am and arrived in absolute heaving floods. Today she spent two hours with me. As well as helping me deal with William's death, we are working through a lot of personal things; I just hope now is the right time to be doing this.

After my session I picked Izzy up from her dad's and she was obstreporous from the start. I tried to be patient with her and, although it took gargantuan effort, especially in my feeble condition, I was firm and didn't shout and felt proud of myself. 

At 2pm I took her across the road to a neighbour's house (her 'in-love boy' - 'boyfriend' - Nathan who is a year older - both of them sporting a double toothless gap across the top of their mouths!). We'd dropped a post card off from Izzy to Nathan in their letterbox after our very short holiday and that precipitated a rather brave call from Nathan's mum to us, inviting Izzy over. And it IS brave because a significant amount of people locally do not know what to say to us, so they have stayed away. I thanked her profusely for her courage and kindness. 

Nathan's house being full of visiting family, Izzy had an attack of shyness (paradoxical child that she is) and would not get off my leg for half an hour. My mum had been waiting at our house for this half an hour, my telephone's microphone is broken so when I tried calling all I got was 'hello, hello' so by the time I'd shaken Izzy off, left her to play and got home I was like a pressure cooker waiting to go off.

And I can't even remember what triggered it, but I had a row with my mum, and off I did go. Complete and utter meltdown, outside on the floor screaming over and over again 'My son is DEAD!!! My son is DEAD!!!', pulling my hair out and hitting myself.  Please don't be shocked at this. Apparently it's quite normal. But it freaked my mum out enough for her to leave. I would be surprised if we ever spoke again. But that's a whole story of its own.

I am only documenting this because I want this to be a true journey and I want you to understand that even though I managed to do 'normal' things this week, life is, and never will be, 'normal' again. So as I write this I am feeling really drained and fuzzy (had to take a WHOLE hayfever tablet to calm down, but at least I'm not on tranqs) and like life really isn't worth living. But again, don't worry, I'm not the doing something stupid type.

The grieving book I am reading is proving enlightening and helping to validate my grieving process, with so many parallels, that I am reading it with a highlighter pen, a bit like I'm doing A level Grieving. The parents quoted in the book met through the group The Compassionate Friends, who are hosting the bereavement weekend I am booked on in September in the UK.  They are an international group and I tried looking for them in France. Are you kidding me? France is in the Dark Ages on two fronts here - the internet and self-help/support groups (sorry my French friends). I'd love to go to something with Olivier, but there's no hope. There is something in or near Paris - but we're not driving 16 hours return for a monthly evening meeting...If anyone can prove me wrong and find a support group for bereaved parents near to us, then I'd be happy to eat my words.

And I know I, for one, have a deep need to meet other bereaved parents. It's a bit like when you become a mum and you're suddenly in the 'Mum Club' and only other mums understand what being a mum is all about, but a sicker version. You can't possibly know what it's like to lose a child unless you've lost a child. I want to meet others like us and talk to them, hear their stories at whatever stage they are in the grieving process.

I've just got to this bit in the book (meeting people through the TCF groups) and the parents are saying it helped because in those meetings, you felt 'normal' because everyone had this dreadful cross to bear in common. Out in the 'civilian' world people that knew them were capable of either ignoring them completely, or saying inappropriate things or in the case of meeting new people at social gatherings, asking innocent but chill-you-to-the-bone questions such as 'and do you have children?'.

I now have to get used to saying 'Izzy' again instead of 'the kids'. And I freaking hate it.






6 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, I am so so sorry for your loss and what you are having to experience. I posted a comment the other day but I don't know if you saw it I couldn't see it? If you did then I am sorry because I am now going to repeat myself !!

    Your words are so honest and heartfelt. I know the loss of my mum at christmas is not at all on the same level as losing a child. However, so many of your grief experiences are as I have felt. I do not know if that helps you to know. It helps me. I have felt so isolated in my grief. Like you , many around me do not want to ask about it , especially now 7 months on. I was desperate to speak to other people who have lost a mum and strangely I found this very hard to find - we are still just a bit young.

    You are doing so much to help yourself and so quickly - therapy of various types, allowing yourself to grieve, retreating to bed with a book and letting the tears flow that I believe that in the long (long) run you will be OK and able to find a new 'norm'.

    I was traumatised by seeing mum die and the weeks of anguish that preceded so had some rewind therapy to try and find a place in my brain for those images. It has helped. I do still see them now but some of the trauma has gone. You sound like you are getting the right sort of help with this and I hope that you too get some benefit.

    Your friends have spoken about the waves of grief and again this is something that I have noticed and I can say that now the troughs are longer and the crests shorter. yes I still cry and yes I could still scream it's not fair but somehow the urgency to do so has lessened. Again, I hope this happens for you.

    I have a couple of friends who have lost young children (both had illness) and they both talked about the joy their children brought them and how much they taught them about life despite it being so fragile.

    I hope I have not offended in anyway. I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts frequently and that I have some experience of how tough and exhausting grief is. It does change, despite the continuing underlying sadness. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - thank you for sharing your own experience. It must have been, and still is, a terribly traumatic experience. It's good to read that you had therapy for your 'unfilable' memories. This obviously has a valid place in aiding grieving. Also great to hear that your waves are slowly calming. I bet you read loads but read the link I just posted this morning - it has given me a little hope for the future. Sending you a huge hug and loads of love xxxx

      Delete
  2. I think about you A LOT Nicole, I liked what one of your friends said - that we hope by feeling some of your pain we may take a little of the burden from you. I hope this is true Nicole. You have so many wonderful friends. I hope you can feel their love in your darkest moments xxx

    I read this poem at my dad's funeral;


    Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow,
    I am the sun on ripened grain,
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight.
    I am the soft star-shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there; I did not die.
    Mary Elizabeth Frye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful poem. My brother very bravely read Death is Nothing at all at William's funeral:

      Death is Nothing at All

      Death is nothing at all.
      I have only slipped away to the next room.
      I am I and you are you.
      Whatever we were to each other,
      That, we still are.

      Call me by my old familiar name.
      Speak to me in the easy way
      which you always used.
      Put no difference into your tone.
      Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

      Laugh as we always laughed
      at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
      Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
      Let my name be ever the household word
      that it always was.
      Let it be spoken without effect.
      Without the trace of a shadow on it.

      Life means all that it ever meant.
      It is the same that it ever was.
      There is absolute unbroken continuity.
      Why should I be out of mind
      because I am out of sight?

      I am but waiting for you.
      For an interval.
      Somewhere. Very near.
      Just around the corner.

      All is well.

      Henry Scott Holland

      Delete
  3. Also I'd be honoured if you would like me to make you a ceramic box for your lock of William's hair. I can make it to any size, colour or specification you'd like xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be absolutely amazing, thank you. What a kind and thoughtful idea. A little pale blue box with a red star on the lid would be perfect as that's his bedroom theme, say about 5cm by 5cm? How wonderful. Thank you again. xxx

      Delete