Thursday 2 August 2012

I scream. A lot. When I can. That is, when no-one else is in the house (although it does scare the dog) or when I am driving along in the car on my own, that horrible empty place in the back behind me. I don't know if this is a phase or if I will ever stop screaming. Today I have screamed a lot to make up for the last few days away on our long-time planned holiday with two other families, when I had to hold it all in till the sight of the other families' little boys became too much. So then we had to leave. We tried, but it was too soon. We don't need rest; we need activity.

A relative has sent us a book about sadness aimed at children which I have read with Izzy, my 6-year old daughter. It is by Michael Rosen and is called Sad Book. Quentin Blake is the illustrater (he who collaborated with Roald Dahl). So the images are familiar. It's a story by and about a man who lost his son. On one page it says, "Sometimes because I am sad I do crazy things - like shouting in the shower... banging a spoon on the table... or making my cheeks go whooph, booph, whooph."

I recognise this. Of this last one, I have flashbacks of 'the day' that give me momentary panic attacks. Suddenly the image of William in the pool hits me, vivid like I am seeing it right there and then. These mini panic attacks make my cheeks go whooph, booph, whooph. Next week I have my first EMDR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_movement_desensitization_and_reprocessing) session booked in. This is a bit like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy but using eye movements too - it's aim is to take a vivid image in your mind and to try and put it somewhere further back. I don't know if this will work, but I have to try something and at least it will fill an hour or two. I am also seeing a psychiatrist once a week.

So today, around the screaming and tears, I have managed to unpack the suitcases and attempt to get on top of my Kiddiekit work (this is what I do: www.kiddiekitrentals.com) - contracts and orders to prepare. Can you imagine a harder business to be in right now? Michael Rosen's book says he tries to do one positive thing every day. Well that's it for me. There's no way I have the mental strength to go to the supermarket (empty place in the trolley in front of me, loads of little boys) so we have no food, but Olivier has set off to do this for me (even though the list included my 'feminine hygiene products'). Bless. So maybe I might end up eating something today after all.

9 comments:

  1. Nicole, youre ability to transpose your thoughts into words is very vividly real, if that makes sense. I'm glad that you can do it, you are expressing yourself to the core and there's probably not a lot of people who could do that in the way that you can. It makes me understand more of what you are going through and a glimer of how you are dealing with it. It also makes me cry to see how you are hurting. XX (From me,dont know why I'm Gary Boxall!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an edit note, you being a stickler for grammer, I should say 'there are' not 'there's'! Huge hugs. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and, just checking, is that Lisa then if it's not Gary? x

      Delete
  3. Just want to see if this works...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the blog is a great idea Nicole. Writing can be very cathartic; I will certainly keep an eye on your progress. Sending you my very best wishes... X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who are you Mr (or Mrs) Discodes?

      Delete
    2. Sorry Nicole, not clear... Des O'Reilly formerly of Cambridge, UK. That's my wordpress blog name.

      Delete
  5. My dear girl...I have had EMDR, infact I'm looking for someone in the region to continue it...I cannot recommend it highly enough darling...It will TRULY help you....embrace it, throw yourself into it and you will benefit greatly. It will not change events, but it will help you find a tranquil place in yourself that you can go to when panic or grief sets in....All love and support, Teena

    ReplyDelete