Monday 17 September 2012

Cap d'Agde and Corn Maze

It's Monday morning and I've just dropped Izzy off at school and come home to an empty, silent house. No William running around, giggling with joy at everything in his path. Just me and the aging Pepsi (9 this month - I don't think we'll make her a cake like we did last year - what fun that was - both kids licking the spoons!), who is more than content to sleep most of the day.

I feel so sad at how everything has changed so radically, so quickly. It's almost too much to understand. I feel overwhelmed by the fact that my present and future, which were so firmly assured, are now so incredibly uncertain.

I have been keeping really busy - but it's tiring to be that busy! Yesterday I took Izzy out and we had a great day - we went to the car show in Cap d'Agde, which turned out to be what they call a 'tuning' day - regular road cars with funky paint jobs, tuned engines and some sort of 'see who can get the most or biggest speakers in their boot' competition that I'm sure Freud would have a lot to say about! I was disappointed as I thought there would be more vintage cars there (there was just one!) - one of my passions, albeit currently latent.

However, we did see a fantastic jetski display - a guy doing somersaults on a jetski, including two back-to-back! Very impressive! We sat on the edge of the rocks, Izzy found an old piece of rope and tied a plastic cup in the end of it and 'fished'. Bless her.

After we'd had a mooch around and the loud music had got too much for Izzy (not such a teenager yet after all!) we grabbed a sandwich and then headed off to my friend Isabelle's house. Isabelle is another friend who has been really supportive, keeping in touch and suggesting outings and things to do - keeping us busy. Perfect! We had a bit of a natter while Izzy played in her pool with her sons and then we got ourselves together and set off for the corn maze in Fabrègues, just outside Montpellier.

Corn Maze
I've never done one of these before. It was good fun, although I panicked a bit at the beginning as Izzy just ran in and disappeared. I thought she'd be the one panicking at getting lost, which is why I was panicking, but Isabelle sensibly suggested that I maybe shouldn't worry unless I heard Izzy crying or calling for me and she didn't! She was running around in there, quite happy! In fact all the kids seemed to innately know the layout of this enormous maze (3 hectares!) like the back of their hand upon arrival! I likened it to those kids that picked up a Rubik's cube all those years ago and, in just a few twists, had completed it, when adults would try for hours and eventually give up! And like today's kids with electronic gadgets whose parents ask them to help them out. The future adults of tomorrow. But hey hang on, we are the Rubik's cube generation, so where did this innate ability to learn, process, calculate and solve go? Do we lose it as we age? Will today's kids be asking their own kids in the future how to use the teleporter?

I digress.  To finish yesterday's tale, we had a lovely roast dinner at Isabelle's house and then I drove a very sleepy pair of us home for a good night's sleep.

So off to a friend's for coffee now and then back to try and concentrate on my To Do list. My anchor to sanity.




No comments:

Post a Comment